JOB DESCRIPTION: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Posted Monday, July 1, 2019
Position Description Summary:
Our organization is currently seeking its first full time Development Director to develop and manage successful fundraising initiatives and donor relations programs. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing our fundraising campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building a stronger volunteer and staff development team. This position involves managing individual and corporate gifts as well as planned and annual giving campaigns. If you have a strong background in non-profit fundraising and development, we encourage you to apply.
Effect on the Organization:
Income from fund raising and special events will grow in dollars and percentage of total operational budget of the Playhouse members and endowment will grow.
Reports to: Managing Director
ABOUT THE POSITION:
• Create and execute strategic and annual Development Plans in concert with the priorities of the theatre, our strategic plan and operational needs. This includes identifying and soliciting viable donors, sponsors, grant-makers, in-kind supporters, and partners, as well as assisting in the execution of fundraising events
• Seek out, identify and cultivate existing and new relationships for donors that generate increased contributed income as part of Ivoryton Playhouse’s overall $2M operating budget
• Serve as the lead point person on ongoing capital campaigns and Planned Giving/Ovation Society
• Assist with the planning and execution of fundraising events annually in consultation with any committee established, including sponsorship and auction item solicitation, guest list management, etc.
• Identify, compile, and submit grants, proposals, and reports in a complete, timely, accurate, and compelling fashion
• Keep meticulous donor profiles and ensure institutional memory of donor relationships
• Identify when VIPs will be present at Ivoryton Playhouse and greet them, or alert appropriate
Directors/Board to greet them and participate in the cultivation/stewardship process
• Secure new corporate sponsors and fulfill sponsor benefits throughout the season
• Participate in and provide strategic guidance on the annual membership campaign and fulfill donor benefits throughout the season
• Work with and aid the Board on methodologies, resources, and tools for the Board’s own fundraising efforts, particularly on capital and special projects
• Bachelor’s degree in arts administration, non-profit management, communication, or related field preferred
• Minimum three years of development or related experience in nonprofit fundraising preferred
• Proven success at meeting and exceeding revenue goals. Grant writing experience is preferred, however, candidate should have experience securing individual major gifts, donations and sponsorships
• Ability to work directly with donors, engaging them in different ways
• Proven successful interactions with Boards and a diverse array of community stakeholders
• Solid writing, editing and proofreading skills
• Provide friendly, donor-centered customer service and represent the theatre and our mission in a professional and positive manner
• Excellent computer/technology skills, especially with Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms. Experience using database software preferred
• Excellent organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to take initiative and lead projects, as well as able to be a strong team player
• Ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion
• A collaborative spirit with ability to interact and/or lead others
• Self-starter with ability to work independently
• Strong organizational, communication/presentation and customer service skills
• Must be flexible including working evenings and weekend hours
• Possess a positive, can-do attitude, a spirit of curiosity and tenacity to “get the job done”
We prefer to receive applications (PDF files) by email to:
Or send cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 458
Ivoryton, CT 06442
Deadline for submitting an application is August 9, 2019.
A BIT MORE INFO: This is a new position. The financial success of Ivoryton Playhouse productions has brought us to the point of seeking the right person who can help build a culture of development that will increase fundraising and contributed income to match this growth. In consultation with the Artistic/Executive Director and reporting to the Managing Director, the Development Director will manage all development and fundraising functions for the organization including increasing and retaining individual donors, shape and implement the strategy for building donors, identify areas for audience development and management of special events.
ABOUT IVORYTON PLAYHOUSE: The Ivoryton Playhouse is a unique theatre with a rich cultural history. Built in 1911 as the recreation hall for the employees of the Comstock-Cheney factory, the Ivoryton Playhouse is the oldest, continuously running, self-supporting summer theater in the nation. Some of the great names of from the stage and screen have appeared at Ivoryton Playhouse including Katharine Hepburn, Marlon Brando, Groucho Marx, Helen Hayes, and Tallulah Bankhead. Today, the Ivoryton Playhouse produces a year-round, professional season of award winning musicals, comedies and dramas as well as summer children’s theatre, educational programs and many special events. The Playhouse has a high profile in the community partnering with many non-profit organizations and corporate sponsors.
Mission Statement: The Ivoryton Playhouse provides high quality professional theatre in a casual, historic setting at an affordable price.
Vision Statement: The Ivoryton Playhouse will continue to bring the excitement of Broadway theatre to the historic village of Ivoryton for another hundred years. A destination for people from far and wide, the Playhouse is the cultural heart of the village, and enriches everyone it touches.