Job Title: Technical Director
Start Date: As soon as available
Summary of Position:
As a vital member of the production team of Ivoryton Playhouse, the TECHNICAL DIRECTOR (TD) is responsible for many aspects of every show produced in Ivoryton. The TD is responsible for transforming the set designs into technical drawings and a completed set, while ensuring a safe acting/working space for actors and staff onstage, in the shop and any storage locations”
Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000 full time/ part time schedule is also available
Essential functions of the position:
• Supervise and coordinate scene shop operations, tools, equipment and maintenance. Manage Shop/Production staff, primary build and load-in crew.
• Oversee engineering, construction, installation, strike and storage of scenic elements for all productions, special events and other projects.
• Work within scenic budget estimates for each production based on designers’ drawings. • Analyze, review and discuss scenic design drawings with Designer, Director of Production, Production Team, Artistic Leadership. Coordinate with management and scenic designer to accommodate changes to set designs as required to maintain budget and safety considerations. Identify technical or budgetary challenges in preliminary designs, advise designers of theater capabilities and limitations, suggest alternatives as needed.
• Create construction/technical drawings based on design drawing package; assign and supervise projects. Actively participate in the construction and installation of scenery, rigging, painting, and props (as needed).
• Identify and provide/build rehearsal furniture or scenic prop elements as needed. • Determine materials and equipment needed for set construction
• Coordinate delivery (lumber, steel, etc.) and necessary labor to receive materials. • Coordinate and manage staff and outside labor.
• Coordinate and collaborate with Production Team to determine the means by which technical elements of a production are executed. Integrate lighting, sound and set designs to identify and resolve any instances of potential equipment
• Work with Production Staff to develop a build and load-in schedule to ensure that the completed set, lighting and sound systems are in place by the first technical rehearsal. • In partnership with the Director of Production, track expenses and labor/overhire hours weekly.
• Maintain the set and technical elements during the run of the show.
• Communicate regularly with Production Stage Manager, respond to rehearsal notes and performance reports. Ensure notes are completed.
• Maintain and repair all scene shop and theatre areas, as well as tools, equipment, materials and theatre stock.
• Maintain and update house technical drawings and designer information packet. • Maintain show archive to include most current paperwork, audio, Q-lab, and other show related files provided by other departments. • Coordinate and supervise pickup and delivery of elements in scenic/prop storage as needed
• Work with the Facilities Manager in delegating and executing general preventative maintenance.
• A strong commitment to artistic excellence, good and effective communication skills, dependability, flexibility, proficiency, and excellent team building skills.
• Other duties may be assigned upon review with the employee and their supervisor in response to unforeseen or unknown developments.
Required Education and Experience:
1. Minimum 3-5 years technical theatre experience
2. Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater or related field; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
3. Supervisory experience leading team members of varying skill levels and aptitudes.
5. Knowledge of industry safety standards and protocols.
6. Confident knowledge of theatrical production and processes, including new trends and innovation.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must have advanced knowledge of the following: standard theatrical scenery construction principles and practices; the use and maintenance of power tools; and awareness of OSHA safety practices in the operation of construction tools and materials, rigging, theatrical lighting, audio, scenic painting.
• Be able to read and interpret design drafting and working drawings
• Must possess computer proficiency skills. Google applications.
must be able to create shop construction drawings from design documents.
• Prior managerial experience, supervising professional and intern/volunteer crews. • Possess excellent written, oral, verbal communication skills, and be agile in managing time, people and projects in complex situations.
• Ability to drive and operate a truck.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Primary working area is shop and theater; secondary is production office.
- Ability to lift a reasonable amount of weight.
3. Sitting for extended periods of time.
4. Standing for extended periods of time.
5. Use of power tools and work in scene shop as needed.
6. Ability to climb ladders, work overhead and in cramped spaces sometimes required.
7. Valid driver’s license required.
Please send resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com and type Technical Director in the subject line. Search will remain open until the position is filled. Ivoryton Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer.