Third annual Women Playwrights’ Initiative:
PASSION POWER PROSE 2019.
Our mission is to Inspire, Empower, Validate, and Celebrate women playwrights.
The Women Playwrights’ Initiative at the Ivoryton Playhouse develops new one-act plays by and about women, and the issues that shape their lives. Friendship, political and economic advocacy, sexual satisfaction, aging, gender equality, racial issues, marriage, singlehood, motherhood, careers, and power. The Initiative provides a safe, nurturing environment for play development, including a week of intensive rehearsal with the playwrights, directors, and actors. The workshopping week culminates in a staged reading festival, featuring interactive talkbacks with the playwrights, directors, actors, and audiences.
CALL FOR SCRIPTS: Please read the submission policy carefully
- Starting May 15, women playwrights are invited to submit one-act plays written solely by women via email in standard Samuel French playwriting format: 12 point font, character name centered, 1” margin all around. Plays should be emailed to Laura Copland email@example.com.
- Ten minute plays are acceptable and no play may run longer than one hour—approximately 50 pages. Longer submissions will not be considered.
- No one-person plays or musicals will be accepted.
- Only one submission per playwright will be accepted. Scripts will not be returned.
- Submissions are limited to the first 150 scripts received. No play will be accepted before May 15.
- The title page must include the playwright’s name, email address, mailing address, and telephone number. Resumes must be sent as a separate file and NOT included in the PDF file of the play.
- Please do NOT include a synopsis.
- The call is open from May 15 to July 31, 2018 OR until we receive 150 plays. Playwrights will be notified if their play was received after receipt of 150 plays or the deadline and thus, not considered.
- Submissions will be acknowledged by email. Playwrights will be notified in the fall by email if their play is selected. Playwrights whose plays were not selected will also be notified.
- Playwrights will stay for the week of rehearsals beginning Saturday, February 23, 2019 through to the staged readings on Friday, March 1, and Saturday March 2, with a departure day on Sunday, March 3, 2019.
- The WPI is a workshop and playwrights are encouraged and should be prepared to work on their play, including rewrites, as needed.
- Stipend: $500, plus travel to and from Ivoryton, CT, and housing is provided.
DIRECTORS: The WPI also seeks resumes from directors. Stipend: $300 and housing is provided.
READERS: We seek resumes from readers to evaluate the plays and to email feedback on a form provided.
Play submissions, and Director and Reader resumes should be emailed to Laura Copland, Director of Play Development at Ivoryton Playhouse, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit IVORYTON PLAYHOUSE at www.ivorytonplayhouse.org